Thursday, August 9, 2012

Today is Aug. 9, 2012  We have had a busy summer thus far.  A little camping, swimming in the pool, a couple movies and of course some time with family.  We planted our garden in the Spring and have canned green beans, and hot peppers.  We won't have any corn this year.  What grew the neighboring cow ate.  Good thing we have plenty in the freezer.   The chickens we raised have been moved out to the chicken coop and James just built nesting boxes last night.  The hens have given us several small eggs.  The first I cracked open was a double yoke.   Riley has named her white chicken, Pecky.  She loves that chicken and is not afraid of it at all.  She will go in and grab it like she's been doing it for years.  She is only 3!!!  The older kids have helped so much with the chickens and garden.  They are growing up so fast.  I would like to slow the process down a little bit just so I can savor the moment.

We have cleared our land and are now waiting for the bank to finalize the paperwork.  We have dreamed of moving so our kids have a place to play for years now.  It is really exciting to know we are this close but yet still can't do anything about it.  I am learning patience.  Something James has plenty of.  ;)

The kids are still homeschooling and we started back this week.  I have planned and organized what I think we want to do all summer.  I pray that does not change once I get the books from the public school system.  I would like to think I have a better hold on it this year but we will see.  When the work gets a little tougher that is when we will see who cracks first.  I have to be stronger than Alex.  They both did very well this week which gives me hope we are off on the right path.

We have had a couple weeks of sickness.  First Douglas had viral pneumonia and was in the hospital for 2 days.  Then I had it and was sick for a week.  Now Riley has had it for over a week.   We were all on antibiotics, breathing treatments and told to rest.  Luckily rest is all you want to do with this.  I felt horrible and so have the little guys.  Emma has swollen tonsils but I don't think it is what the 3 of us have had.  So far Alex and James are ok.  But only time will tell.  This hasn't been the easiest virus to get over.

On a sad note we had to put our 14 yr old Boston Terrier, Maggie to sleep last Friday.  She was so old and feeble that it would have been selfish to keep her the way she was.  She was confused and no longer could navigate through our house or yard.  She would bump into the walls, cabinets, furniture and anything else that was out.  With 4 kids there is always something out.  I took her to the vet on a Wed and was given a small hope that it could be an old infection that was messing with her brain.  We brought her home and gave her the meds to see if it made a change.  It did not and we had to say our goodbyes to our dear Maggie.  Because we were sick and Riley had a fever, James stayed at home with the kids and I took her to the vet.  It was very sad but very peaceful.  She was scared but I saw relief on her face as soon as the meds went in. She wasn't scared anymore and she wasn't in pain.  I know in my heart we made the right choice for her but it still doesn't stop the tears.  It is hard to erase 13+ yrs of memories and love.  There will never be another dog like Maggie.  She will always be in our hearts.


No comments:

Post a Comment