Thursday, March 1, 2012

Poetry - Part 1

We're currently doing some poetry in our homeschooling work.  Last week we covered the basics and used some unfinished poems to practice our rhyming and meter.  Here is what we came up with:

(Note: I found these starter poems somewhere on the Internet once upon a time but no longer recall where.  I did not write them myself.)


Our picnic was ruined
by too many ants.
At least I am grateful…


They weren't in my pants  (Emma)
No one wet their pants (Alex)
For my time in France (Daddy)

My brother’s a genius,
as smart as they come.
Without his computer though…


He is really quite dumb (Emma)
He's extremely dumb (Alex)
He's very hohum (Daddy)

Tomorrow we’re having a test
at the beginning of class.
I didn’t remember to study…


So i'm gonna have to pass (Emma)
So I'm crying tears of glass (Alex)
The conservation of mass (Daddy) 

I dreamed I was riding a zebra
with curly pink hair on his head.
And when I woke up in the morning…


It was making me some bread (Emma)
It was beside my big pink bed (Alex)
I was on my brother instead (Daddy)  

If I had a dollar
I know what I’d do.
I’d go the mall and…


Buy me a ball or two (Emma)
Murder it with you  (Alex)
go again. Deja vu? (Daddy)
Get a new tattoo (Daddy)
Practice my kung-fu (Daddy)
Drink a Mountain Dew (Daddy)


This week we're working on several different styles of poetry.  Stay tuned for more.

1 comment: